Friday, April 15, 2011

Our new direction

Thursday's class this week was exceptionally helpful in determining the final direction we wanted to take with our research project as we all got to discuss the various problems and issues we had come across during our initial research. For some, the pressing issue was to do with research strategies to discover the correct data and information needed to finalize that project's topic. For me, I presented the issues I had come across in finding up to date research on events that hadn't even happened yet and thankfully, someone suggested blogs as a means of determining the ideas that are floating around in regards to the future of TV in Australia.

What happened next however was the most vital part of the lesson. I decided to stay after class to have a chat with Jess about our project and started off by asking her what the point of the assignment was. She said eventually it would lead into MI2 where we get to invite industry professionals to participate in a panel within which they debate and discuss our research topic. I then proposed my dilemma to her about our research project which was that firstly, after the discussion we had had during class about Jill's focus on the history of TV in Australia, this was not really a very pressing matter to focus on and would more than likely be a waste of time. Jess then asked whether we would like to focus on just the present and future climates of the Australian television industry and I said I wasn't sure as these were such big topics in themselves.

The conversation then lead into a highly intricate discussion about what facets of this topic I was interested. For me looking down the barrel of a gun which is the future of traditional media formats in Australia, I am concerned with whether there is a career for me anymore in traditional film and television production. I explained that eventually, I want to end up making the shows which inspired me to do this course in the first place but if they are a dying breed, then maybe I should cut my losses and run. This then lead into our exploration into just what it was about this topic that was fascinating to not only me but also to the potential broader audience and we came up with the following approach.

The changes that are occurring in the international television industry are hard to miss. In the past 5 years alone, the introduction of new media practices such as V.O.D (video on demand), webisodes, and social media integrated with television networks is causing significant evolution within the television industry. My group is aiming to pinpoint what it is exactly that is causing these changes by looking at the technology and the way the networks and production companies are using them in order to keep themselves relevant in the near future. From this, we will be making predictions on what television can hope to look like 10 years from now (an exciting idea indeed) There are a lot of elements we need to consider first though which I shall cover in my next post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment