Sunday, June 6, 2010

Editing Sesh # 2

Editing Session 2

Crap! Crap! Crap! Crap! Crap!!!

Phew! Ok, breathe!!!!


…. And now let go….


Ok, I think I’m alright now. Apologies for my outburst above but I am seriously pissed off right now. I’m not sure how and I’m not sure why but for some reason, looking through the second tape of our fiming on the weekend, I just discovered we only have 2 takes of the clip of Luke speaking almost half the scene…with me talking over him in the background on the DVD. I don’t know why but I honestly thought we had filmed another shot with him saying the exact same lines without me talking so that we could easily place them over the top in film. Nup! Apparently I forgot to add that into the shooting schedule and also totally forgot to film it on the night. So, result? We have this awesome, essential shot of Luke and Lara responding to eachother about why she is in the TV (the most crucial part of the film!!!) and you can hear me nattering away in the background. Let me explain a little.

When we filmed Lara’s performance, we shot it all in one take. This was because we were only filming her entire performance from one angle and felt it would be better for her to get “in the zone” rather than stopping her every two minutes to film a different section. Also, fitting with the narrative, Stacey doesn’t stop to take a breath and Lara’s performance was brilliant in replicting this because we didn’t let her stop. However, obviously we needed her to respond off Grant to get the right facial expressions and movement and to do this, we decided the best thing to do was have me replace Luke for the purpose of her shoot. This idea was fine and in fact worked brilliantly. For some reason though, it seems I lost my head on Friday morning when we were frantically trying to get just one DVD to play through my DVD player with her performance bruned on it and I don’t know why, but I decided to use the one we had with my voice still audible in the background.

This was a typical case of me not thinking far enough ahead in relation to the film because if I had, I would have remembered that at some point, Luke would need to have his lines recorded with this DVD playing in the background i.e with my voice heard as well.

Ugh! It’s just so frustrating! I tried everything I could to work out how to fix the problem – taking out the entire scene (would lose all plausibility for both Lara and Luke’s oerformances), replace the sound with snippets of audio from other clips (totally out of sync and could only replace half the dialogue) or get Luke to come in and re-record his lines, something we should have remembered to do on set. Oh well, I will get hold of Luke tonight and beg and plead with him to come in to RMIT so we can re-record.

0 comments:

Post a Comment