Sunday, June 6, 2010

Wild Lines

What is it about that bloody Murphy guy? I mean, who does he think he is creating some law that says anything that can go wrong will go wrong. I’m a member of a democracy! Don’t I have some say in whether this law should be a part of my life? I have some local council representative in Parliament to drive it out don’t I? Apparently not.

Yes, it would seem just when you think you’ve fixed a problem, another one rears its ugly head. I’m referring specifically to the recent development during our last editing session regarding the poor sound quality of one of our clips. In a nutshell, we recorded Luke delivering his lines with me talking away in the background from the DVD of Lara’s performance. Bad! Bad! Bad!

To fix this, we decided to get Luke to come into RMIT to re-record all his lines. This would have been fine except for the fact that obviously, the RMIT editing suites and my house have two completely different sound environments! It’s really obvious that the recording we did of Luke at RMIT is much closer to the camera and in a much more controlled, enclosed environment then the original recording done at my house.

We tried everything to make them sound the same. Reverberation, echo, adjusting the pitch/tempo/bass, adding effects and finally employing Arthur and his whiz-bang Adobe skills but alas, nothing could be done to save the innocent scene. The problem was two things: firstly, we should have re-recorded Luke in a room that was a similar size and depth to the room at my house. Secondly, we should have recorded from the same distance away that the camera was to Luke in the clip itself. Obviously, it’s going to sound weird in a clip when the actor is standing 6 feet away from the camera when he sounds like he’s right next to the boom.

Unfortunately, it looks like there’s really nothing more we can do about it. If we had thousands of dollars to spare and time that had no continuum, obviously we would either have re-recorded the whole scene at my house or found an amazing piece of software which would have replicated the sound from my house. Either way, what’s done is done and we will just have to see how the newly recorded sounds work with the rest of the film.

0 comments:

Post a Comment