Friday, May 27, 2011

St Kilda 2011 - Top 100 Session 10

After frantically racing home to grab my work gear (long story, will explain later), I arrived back at the Astor just in time for the 6pm session. Why the rush? I had been looking forward to the session all day as Nash Edgerton's Bear would be screening again. I already love the film after only seeing it once before but the reason I was so keen to see it again was to witness the effect it would have on a new audience. These are the films I managed to catch during the session:

1. Dik
Absolutely hilarious. I would go so far to say that this is the funniest short film I think I have ever watched. Why? I really think in this case the film was just really well scripted and the narrative was definitely carried by the lead male. The film goes to show how such a small incident can cause a series of unforeseen events, the best subject matter for short films in my opinion. And just when you think its over, the film completely flips upside down providing the perfect ending. It wasn't perfect however with the camera work definitely wanting some attention and I really think the lead female could have been upgraded. All in all though, this would be a great idea for a future tv series, possibly for the ABC. dik

2. Share Path, Skate Path.
I could not have more praise for these filmmakers. The cinematography was amazing; their music composing was pitch perfect for the project(try saying that a few times over after a couple of bevies); and the subject matter was full of drama, was perceptive, and most importantly, was extremely engaging and interesting. It made you want to get up and go grab a skateboard to join this cool knot of kids pushing the WA government to get off their horses and step into the 21st century and I'm sure the film will garner heaps of support for their plight. To learn more, I found their website. Check it out. also, here's the trailer if you're wondering why I'm so obsessed.
SHARE PATH SKATE PATH Trailer from Skate Sculpture on Vimeo.

3. Bear.
You all know what I think about Nash Edgerton and Blue-Tongue films so I won't bore you by taking about how amazing they are (I'm saving that for the holidays when I plan on doing a complete review of their films). Yet again, they managed to completely stun the audience and keep them hooked to the end. Even though I heard some comments after the screening complain about the seemingly 'identical resemblance' Blue-Tongue's previously made short, Spider, most people who were unfamiliar with the work, and even those who did know about Spider, still enjoyed the entertainment this little short provided.

The theme of tonight seemed to fit well with the directions the filmmakers suggested the Australian film industry needed to take at today's industry seminar. Films like the ones I've just reviewed are just as entertaining as they are socially commentative. All of them are centered around great stories, great characters, and supported by even better filmmaking and editing techniques. There are so many films made in Australia which can not get this balance right and I think it is this reason which is holding the industry back. We need to learn that we have great stories to tell and we have amazing people who know how to make films. Now we just need to learn how to put the two together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment