Sunday, May 29, 2011

Why It Pays To Be Awesome

So you already that I was only planning to be at yesterday's industry day for an hour. Then only for another half an hour to see the stall holders. Then only 2 and a half hours to speak with them all. What I wasn't planning was staying until 4:30 to help out with the top 100 session being held at 3:00pm, a session I had not been asked to volunteer at and one I hadn't signed up for to do my assignment.

So what happened? Just as I was about to escape the Astor's ensnaring jaws, one of the girls from St Kilda pulled me aside and asked me if I knew that no one from Inside Film had arrived for the day's sessions. I was immediately stunned. Frantically checking the volunteer schedule, I realized the girl who was supposed to be doing Saturday afternoon was the same girl who bailed on the first session for the festival on Wednesday night and what ever her reasons were for not rocking up 4 days ago were obviously still impeding her.

The poor St Kilda girls had valiantly tried to do our job for us but obviously were struggling to do their own as well as hand out and collect our ratings slips in between. Without thinking about it, I immediately checked the schedule for the next day, knowing that the same girl was scheduled for Sunday as well, and called up one of the other volunteers to see if he could come in instead. Success. He was available and willing and promised me that he would be there for the afternoon.

I then grabbed the forms for the session currently screening and luckily had half an hour to organize everything for the collections before the audience emerged. It was an easy session and I quickly collected all the ratings and then prepared for my next mission - get home and back again in an hour with everything I needed for work. It was a challenge but I managed it in roughly that time frame and was back at the Astor before the next top 100 session.

Why am I telling you this? Because I am going to beat you, drown you, and smother you with this idea until it becomes second nature. You. Are. Not. Going. To. Get. Anywhere. In. This. Industry. If. You. Are. Not. Superwoman(man)

I may sound like I am being an arrogant b@#*h but if you know me well, you'll know that I don't speak that highly of myself. Ever! So why now? Because I know that my efforts to help out on Saturday were above and beyond what was expected of me and because of this, were significantly acknowledged. Both the organizers of The Inside Film awards and SKFF applauded me for my efforts and I know I will remain on their radar as someone who knows not only how to get the job done, but how to do it well.

You have to be amazing to stand out. You can not go through your life making mediocre films, writing mediocre scripts, or only just passing in your degree. P's may get degrees but they don't get jobs. Take note people: the film and TV industry does not take kindly to slackers and I am using my experience above to highlight this to you today. I hope this has been eye-opening for you.

(Since this post, I have been invited to volunteer at the Sydney Film Festival and am now traveling there on the 12th of June to help out.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment