Friday, August 14, 2009

A happy heartwarming story about something not so heartwarming...

I was particularly excited to hear today (more for the fact that my hometown of Perth had actually done something worthwhile for a change) of the landmark case involving Christian Rossiter, a quadriplegic who finally was awarded the right to refuse medical treatment that may result in his death.

I don't know why, cases like this don't usually concern me or strike me as momentous as I don't really have an opinion on them, but I think because a case of this magnitude was made in my hometown, I felt more compelled to put a positive spin on it.

Now I know you'll be thinking "But it's already got a happy ending!". Not necessarily. See, for the next few months or so whilst this case still rolls through the media, protests, strikes and complaints will all be made against the decision and more than likely, somebody will try to reverse the judgement.

I think this would be an act of inhumanity. People all around the world die every day of disease, famine, illness or by natural disaster. Now, I know for a fact that you don't see these anti-euthanasia protestors fighting against government agencies, chain supermarkets or Mother Nature. So why, when it comes to something like this, when a human being actually has the choice over how they wish to leave this world, do we present resistance?

Whilst I don't agree with suicide, I do believe that when a person has absolutely no choice over their future, be it due to sickness or any other situation, they should be allowed the right to end things their won way.

I think this case will be the catalyst for what will hopefully be a revolution of modern society's ways of thinking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment