Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Participation Week 11 - Final Submission

Participation Week 1
Participation Week 4

What have I done well?
When I began this course, I knew right away that I was going to need to participate fully throughout the semester in order to ensure that I completely understood all the skills and practices involved with the course. This was due mainly to my inexperience with the online media platform particularly in the realm of creating webpages and blogs.

Therefore, to ensure I achieved at a high level, I had to conduct research and investigations outside the Networked Media class to gain a fuller understanding of the concepts covered throughout the term. In relation to HTML coding and creation, I frequented many "How to create your own webpage" sites including W3Schools, HTML Dog and HTML Goodies. These sites were invaluable to my understanding of the HTML side to the course and without them, I do not believe I would have been able to have created my Project website at such a level as I did.

Further to this, I experimented frequently with the concepts and techniques involved with HTML experimentation. As with anything I come across that I do not understand in full, I find that practicing the basic processes and techniques involved with that activity to be a huge benefit to my understanding of that aspect of the course. With HTML and hypertext, I frequently practiced creating my own HTML webpages and mini-hypertext projects so as to refresh the skills I had learnt during the creation of my Project website.

I believe also that due to my inexperience with the practice of blogging, I also have succeeded. This semester, I decided that I would attempt to extend beyond the expectations of the blogging assignment by practicing blogging about subjects that were not directly related to my course. This led to the creation of my blogging website "The Optimist's Tasting Plate: A Positive Spin on Really Depressing S**t". In doing this, I believe that I learnt more about the processing of blogging than I ever could have achieved had I only blogged about subjects related to the course. Also related to my blog, I have tried to ensure that I create at least 3 to 5 blogs per week although I recently found that on some occasions, this was slightly harder to achieve than expected hence why I only have created 29 posts.

Finally, I attended all lectures and tutorials throughout the semester, bar one week, and believe that I fully contributed to class discussion and where possible, attempted to assist my fellow peers with any problems they may be experiencing whilst also endeavouring to understand the course myself.

What have I learnt to do better?
Considering that I had no previous experience with HTML or hypertexts before the beginning of this course, I believe that I have accomplished a great many things associated with this course. For instance, I have been able to create my first ever web-page from scratch, all be it with a great amount of help and anguish, but still I managed to produce quite an intricate and experimental hypertext essay using HTML coding. I also learnt how to use CSS and prefer this method of altering the look of my HTML pages than the traditional method of using tables and configuring codes.

In terms of participation, I think that I have learnt not to allow myself to fall behind in class by continously asking questions related to problems I have encountered or aspects of the course I have come across that I have not understood in full during the class. In doing this, I believe that I have been able to participate much more adequately than had I merely said that I would figure it out for myself and then found that really, I was unable to understand the concepts on my own, further causing me to fall behind. It took me a while to realise this but eventually, I learnt that all I had to do was ask for help.

What could have I done better?

If I had had my way, I would have definitely placed more emphasis on understanding the concepts and ideas behind the use of HTML and hypertext and the reason for its existence. I believe that its all well and fair to say that I am able to use the HTML codes but at the end of the day, I do not believe that I actually understand the reasons behind why they have been created that way. If I have time, I may try to research that later in my blog. I also would have liked to have created more posts for my blog as I believe this would have helped me reach a greater learning level of the process of blogging.

0 comments:

Post a Comment