Thursday, June 2, 2011

St Kilda 2011 - Top 100 Session 16

I'll make this quick as I have many films to get through and I am still feeling the effects of last nights closing awards so here goes:

1. Flash
A cute short film using the technique of drawn animation coupled with 3D technology. The film was nice and short (just how I like it) and without dialogue too which was good because the animator clearly put a lot of hard work into the timing and facial expressions. All in all, a nest piece of work.

2. The Bris
I find it difficult to relate to films like this because of my lack of knowledge of the culture it features. This is an extremely ignorant attitude to have towards film in general and I will admit that first up. However, I believe that the best films are the ones that have a universal theme attached to them and the film's ability to do this depends on how well they have balanced their cultural commentating with the broader universal themes. For this film, I don't think they succeeded too well or in other words, I think the film could have been made just as well, or, even better, by removing the cultural references completely. We can all relate to close relatives of ours making uncomfortable demands and the core theme of this film could have been adapted to that. In saying that, I thought the lead actor was brilliant and I think Mullinar's or Chameleon casting need to get on to him for their next feature because, as I mentioned in twitter, he is Australia's next Greg Kinnear.

3. Hooked
This film was absolutely disgusting. Terrifying. And I couldn't watch it. Yes I'm a woose and no I have not seen Saw so I should not be used to filmmaking of this sort. Just to warn you all, Hooked features large fish hooks ring inserted into the skin of really,really freaky people who swing around by their skin (not figuratively like as in the skin of their teeth) and you the audience can do nothing about it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment