Saturday, June 25, 2011

SFF 2011 Day 3 - Saturday Part 2

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - ****
Bear - *****



I was extremely excited about Saturday night's film firstly, because of number of screenings we would be at (I like to stay on my toes) and secondly, because I would get to see Nash Edgerton's Bear for the third time. I know I sound obsessed but it's actually kinda nice to see how one film can have so many different receptions.

We started the night with a screening of Toomelah in the state theatre, this big, beautiful old building set just off George St which had a huge cinema. I didn't see the film as I was going to be watching it the next day at 10am. Instead, me and the Inside Film kids chilled outside (literally) on the cold marble steps waiting for the session to be over. After Toomelah, we quickly packed up and raced down to Event for the 9pm sessions. Black & White & Sex was on first followed very shortly by Tucker and Dale vs Evil. I was planning on seeing BWS but with Bear screening before TDE, I decided to stay for that. Lucky I did because who would walk into the cinema for TDE than none other than Nash Edgerton himself. I think I nearly lost my shit. I was so excited and made a point to meet him after the screening to put a name to the face.

Bear was met extremely well by the audience. Just as had been done at the two sessions, the film pushed them away with Jack's obnoxious behavior and them pulled them back with its two gripping climaxes. My production teacher at RMIT felt that the second climax was too much but I disagree! It makes the film if anything and I have been racking my brain to come up with alternatives and none come close to the brilliance that already exists. The audience really enjoyed the film and I think it's going to be the confidence boost Nash needs to get his next film made.

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil was the biggest surprise of the festival. Having heard absolutely nothing about the film, I only stayed in the cinema because BWS had already started. Immediately I was wary. The film started out like any badly written horror genre but suddenly, there was a twist in the road ahead and you suddenly realized you were watching a complete spoof. It was amazing! Gory and suspenseful and hilariously funny, I haven't been able to sit through a black comedy like that since Hot Fuzz. What I think really helped the film in its reception was its brilliant delivery of the script by the clearly young but well-selected cast supported by the amazing talent of Alan Tudyk (Death At A Funeral) and Tyler Labine (Mad Love) As well as this, the writers clearly knew every single horror genre pitfall and sidestepped these by highlighting them in their inadequacy with comedy. It was a really enjoyable film and one I hope does well in its release.

Stepping out of the theatre getting ready to face the two audiences for voting, I mentioned to the producer of the IF awards how Nash and I had had a brief email exchange over my previous posts on Bear. She told me that if he had time, she would introduce me after the voting. I was excited but focused on the task at hand by this point and trying to get everyone to vote for Bear when ironically, the producer pulled me aside and before I knew it, I was standing before the man himself. I was speechless. I had absolutely no idea what to say and almost came out with "Would you like to vote for Bear in the Inside Film Awards?" (I line I had perfected by that point) What then pursued was an embarassingly awkward small talk conversation which encompassed my ability to explain to Nash why the producer had bothered to introduce me to him (with me all the time freakin out over whether he would remember me or not) and then a quick comment back and forth between us on Bear and the show of TDE. I felt like an idiot. I had a thousand and one questions to ask him which of course only flooded back into my brain after we said goodbye. Thinking I had made an absolute fool of myself, I withered in self pity for a short while but then decided to live happily in the fact that I had managed to meet my icon. Hopefully next time Nash, I won't be such a bumbling idiot.

(Following Saturday night's screening, I received an email from Nash stating how it was nice to meet me and thanks for supporting the film. I feel much better about the whole exchange now Nash so thankyou for that)

0 comments:

Post a Comment