Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Apologies

P1000800 copyFor all of my loyal readers who missed my quirky, random posts last week, you have my complete and sincere apology. As I should probably have mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I was on a holiday to Sydney with my best friend Georgia and was unable to post any blogs due a lack of internet access.

Needless to say, I already have my first blog post for you on my way home which yet again, is linked to one of Australia's front page news. Even more exciting, I actually experienced it. If you have no idea what I could be talking about yet, here's a clue.

Yes, I officially survived a natural disaster/event and it definitely was not as bad as everyone was making it out to be. Apart from the visual impairment factor, all it really was was just a lot of dust! And for all you asthma sufferers out there, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Anyway, in relation to the article, I was astounded to read that morning just how severe the Bureau of Meteorology was making the whole thing out to be. "There will be damage to property, power lines down and potentially problems on roads with regard to debris or fallen trees" quoted by Chris Webb. TOTAL OVERSTATEMENT!!!! Seriously, it really wasn't that bad. There was no wind, there were no trees falling down and there certainly were no potential problems for the roads. In fact, by mid-afternoon that very day, the whole thing had pretty much cleaned itself up anyway and according to the weather segment on the news that night, was on its way to New Zealand.

This folks is exactly why I write this blog. To point out to you the ridiculous nature of newspapers and the media to overexaggerate EVERYTHING purely for dramatic effect. And that's literally all the reason for it. If we lived in a perfect world, newspapers would print the fact and that would be all. There would be no opinions given by "professional meteorologists" or written statements by victims to make us emotionally attached, there would just be the pure and simple truth.

Having said that, I've basically contradicted myself because my entire blog is FILLED to the brim with opinions and written statements. I think to survive in this world we all just need to take a step back every now and again and access just how reliable our information is. Can we really believe Old Betty Crockett from 32 James St where apparently a mass murder happened and it was "terrible, absolutely terrible"? I don't think so. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but frankly, I also think they are entitled to keep to themselves too.

So don't be freaked out by the next "major disaster" heading your way folks. It's probably only a minor wind that blowing up the noses of our bored journalists hanging around the water cooler at the Herald Sun. Unless of course its a tsunami in which case I suggest you RUN!!!!

Either way folks, don't worry. Be Happy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment