Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mindblank...filled.

Hey everyone

As you know, a couple of weeks ago I had a major freakout because I could not for the life of me remember how the hell you upload an image to a webserver. From looking at my posts, you've probably realised I worked it out ages ago, which I did but this is the first time I've remembered AND had the time to write up what happened after I had found out how to do it. To help you all out in the future, here is how you do it:

First off, you need an image. Preferably one that is not too big in size (about 100-500kb). From there, you open it in photoshop and choose the "save for web devices" option from the file menu.
In the menu that pops up next, you need to select the option that results in the file being saved in a small a form as possible i.e in a 65kb form. Also, you need to make the image a GIF not JPEG. I made that mistake the first time and got totally confused.

Next, you save the image into a folder that is accessable by your web server application like Cyberduck. You then drag the image from that file into a folder called "images" in Cyberduck. This uploads the image to the internet technically converting it from an image that only you can see to something that anyone can access on the web.

From there, all you have to do is drag the image from your desktop file into an empty browser window. This creates a "private" URL which you will notice details the file trail you would take in order to find the image in your folders. To change it from "private" to "public", you need to change the first section of the URL to combine your public URL address with the URL of the Cyberduck folder that contains the image.

And voilá! There is your image on the internet. After that, to get it onto your website, all you need to do is use the image HTML tag which looks like this photo. The alt= space is the title of your image and the img src= is the URL that tells your blog/website where it can find the image.

So there you have it folks. It took me a while but I finally got it out there. Hopefully I'll be able to help another hopeless wannabe like me with their website. Till then, don't worry. Be happy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment