Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Driven to despair? Or driven to dream?

For those of you who diligently cross yourselves each morning before facing the on-coming rush hour traffic, this morning's Herald Sun front page would most definitely have given you something extra to worry about. I on the other hand was jumping for joy! As you will have already read in my earlier post, Flamin' Firebombs, I am a huge supporter of any initiative that involves the decreased production of CO2 emissions. What on earth does this have to do with today's front page news about Melbourne's most fanatical parking inspectors? Let me explain...

You see, whilst you were all groaning at the sight of numerous statistics and graphs the Sun kindly provided yesterday detailing just how much money the Melbourne City Council is filching off your tardiness, I was smiling warmly in the knowledge that I do not need to worry about parking fines or expired meters or accidently parking my car in a tow-away zone. The reason for this? Because I don't have a car and trust me, it is an absolute blessing.

Now I know you think I'm crazy. Doesn't have a car?! But how on earth does she survive?! Well, funnily enough, ladies and gentleman, humans were born with these silly things called legs which allow us to move about our day without emitting thousands of kilos of carbon dioxide (unless you happened to have tacos for breakfast).

The main point that needs to be emphasised from this morning's article is that to avoid a daily date with Mr "OMG! I only have 5 minutes to top up the meter!", we should look at alternative ways of getting to and from our daily activities. The possibilities are endless. Walk, cycle, tram, train, ferry or rollerblade it into town and not only will you never need to worry about your chariot of fire waiting in Inspector Territory on the street, but you will also be aiding your health and the environment.

The pros always outway the cons when it comes to this blog which is why I can safely say that in reference to the "despairing" data provided by Herald Sun this morning, don't worry. Be Happy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment