Thursday, March 25, 2010

First Draft

The first draft of any script is always the hardest. For some reason, just getting my ideas down on paper has never been fun and I really struggled initially with this one in terms of actually being genuinely interested in my characters and what happened to them.

To counteract this, I spent 2 hours getting to know my characters inside out by writing up their character profiles. I found the experience to be extremely bizarre as I had never really considered things like what my character's favourite piece of clothing was or what their daily routine outside the movie would normally be. As a result, I began to bond with my characters: I started to like Sally less and Simon and Matt more and even had a preference for Matt physically over Simon. This type of relationship definitely dictated the way in which I created the rest of my script and from here, I was able to ask myself the question, "What would Sally/Matt/Simon do?". The result of this was my characters eventually began to "act" more naturally within the script as I knew them so well now I could imagine them carrying out those actions in real life.

By then acting out the scene with my housemate, I was definitely able to produce a more naturally flowing screenplay than anything I have ever made before and I'm looking forward to developing that further in the second draft.

0 comments:

Post a Comment