Tuesday, August 2, 2011

MIFF 2011 - Session 4

The session we rated on Sunday was none other than the second part to the accelerator program which was extremely exciting for me as I didn't even know there was a second half. The reason this was exciting is because the Accelerator program promotes the best up and coming talent in film making and basically, these filmmakers are the future of the industry and will be the ones to dictate the direction it takes.

The films in order of preference again are:

1. A Fine Young Man
2. Nullarbor
3. Eli The Invincible
4. Toy Soldier
5. Collision
6. If I Dance Will It Keep Me Warm?

This was a really tough session to arrange my preferences from. The reason for this was that unlike The Missing Key, there were no films in the selection which had a lasting impact on me mentally (save for Nullarbor which I have already praised beyond belief so I thought I would be a bit different this time) This isn't to say that they weren't well-made films - it's just more that none of them had that "je ne said quoi" about them which leaves an audience breathless/restless/speechless.

That may have been the experience for A Fine Young Man however, as I believe many members of the audience didn't see the twist coming like I did (which I am always looking for even though I know it will spoil the surprise) The reason I still liked the film though is due to its impeccable cinematography which was shot beautifully on 35mm, and its set design, which nailed the 1960s decor and atmosphere perfectly. The acting was a little bit too over the top however which I believe is the reason behind why I could tell what was going to happen at the film's climax. A little inconsistency in their performance may have helped the non-believers.

Other than that, A Fine Young Man deserves the award it received on Sunday night (City of Melbourne Grand Prix for Best Short Film) and is, I think, a great precursor to a much larger feature film project which I hope the producers will consider for their next production.

0 comments:

Post a Comment