Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Edit Sesh # 1

After a well deserved break, today was the first chance all of us had to review the footage from the weekend’s filming. Just like we had planned, it was really easy to upload the footage onto the computer and log each clip as we went along. All in all (and this was something we didn’t realize we had done until now), we had about 96 shots. 96! We had only predicted we would have about 50 to work with but obviously with the number of retakes and extra shots we recorded, we had a lot more footage to work with. I was extremely pleased with this outcome as I was definitely worried about not having enough footage to work with as some other groups have experienced. I definitely know there is nothing worse than starting to edit only to get halfway through and go “oh, I just wish we had a little closeup of his hand when he waves goodbye” only to not have that shot. Having more forage than you need may seem wasteful when it comes to tapes and film but it definitely helps in the long run when you start editing and have more to work with.

We only managed to get through the first tape of the day but all in all, I’m really happy with what we’ve got. Most of the shots are perfectly framed, lit and executed by both Arthur and Luke and almost identically reflect the photos I took for the storyboard. I know I sound like the cat that got the cream but there is just nothing happier for a director than knowing what you set out to film at the beginning of your shoot is exactly what you got in post. From here, it’s just so much easier to work with your material with your vision still intact rather than having to work out new ways to fix any footage that doesn’t fit in the film anymore. I can’t wait to see tomorrow’s tape.

0 comments:

Post a Comment