Wednesday, May 26, 2010

SKFF Shift 1 - Spoiler Alert

Ooh, trying saying that 3 times in a row!

Well, after a shaky start (I thought for some reason the rest of the festival would be at The Palais but nooooo, it was at The George...great first impression there) I had an awesome first shift with my Inside Film Award volunteers. I didn't actually realise what I had signed up for until I met up with Kimiko, the lady from Inside Film, who told me that I wasn't actually working for SKFF but for Inside Film assisting them with handing out the fliers they had for audiences to judge the films they watch in each session (I told her I thought I was working for SKFF itself and had asked her why I had the wrong shirt - mine was red with a big IF logo on the front - another great impression on my part). It was heaps of fun and totally not work at all; more like chatting with like-minded people about our love of films discussing which were our favourites and which ones we hated (although you can't say that too loudly as many of the filmmakers come out to watch their films on the big screen). I actually managed to meet a really nice lady called Justine Wallace who's film Ink played this evening which ended up being my favourite film of the evening.

The story revolves around a young girl who informs us through voiceover that she is being sexually abused by her mother's partner which is the reason she attempts to run away all the time. To help her with the pain, she takes her favourite toy Octopus with her and clips it to her backpack. During one attempt, her mother's boyfriend manages to find her and tells her to get in the car, which is then T-boned by a semi-trailer whilst he is driving her home. The boyfriend dies and the girl convinced she will be blamed for his death, runs off for the streets, leaving behind her beloved travel companion. We are then informed at this point that the little girl's stepfather had a secret family with a 4 year old song who the police believe owns the octopus the little girl left in the car. Over the years, the troubled youngsters grow up with one question on eachothers mind: who is the real owner of the toy and where did it go? The film concludes with a touching moment when both the boy and the girl, now grown up, meet on a chance encounter where understanding is exchanged in silence. The most memorable thing about the film is the way it was made. It is an animation but Wallace has managed to superimpose this over real footage of Melbourne's streets and alleways as well as houses, rooms and cars. The blend in materials is mindblowing as you attempt to work out how she managed to achieve such an effect. According to her team, it was a lot of work, 18 months worth of drawing to be exact. Either way, the film was beautiful and I hope things go well for them in the awards section.

0 comments:

Post a Comment